29 Sep How Does Vulva and Vaginal Tightening Work and Do You Need It?
It’s normal for your body to change due to the natural aging process or as a result of childbirth or activity and lifestyle. And for the most part, we all have to come to terms with these physical and emotional changes and accept that aging and changing is just part of life.
However, when our bodies change in a way that makes sexual intimacy more difficult or affects our self-esteem, there’s nothing wrong with seeking help.
Vaginal tightening has been growing in popularity over the years among female patients that aren’t willing to accept that things aren’t what they used to be without trying to improve upon them.
If your vaginal area has sustained damage due to childbirth or has lost elasticity due to the aging process, vaginal rejuvenation can help.
Here’s what you need to know:
What is Vaginal Tightening?
Vulva or vaginal tightening is a cosmetic procedure that is done in an effort to tighten up a vagina that has become loose due to aging or childbirth. Though vaginal tissues are made to stretch and expand during childbirth and intercourse, sometimes they can stretch more than a patient likes and not bounce back afterward.
The process of tightening the vaginal area is referred to as a “vaginoplasty”. Some women seek this procedure for purely cosmetic reasons since they’ve become self-conscious about changes in their appearance. This lack of confidence can affect their intimate lives negatively.
A “labiaplasty” refers to a cosmetic procedure in which the lips (the labia major or the labia minor) of the vagina are reshaped or resized. This is usually done in an effort to correct asymmetry or reduce the size altogether.
Vaginal rejuvenation procedures are sought by women who are looking to restore strength, functionality, elasticity, and tightness the vaginal area. When performed well, vaginal tightening can improve the intimate life of female patients.
Laser technology has made it possible for surgeons to perform rejuvenation procedures with greater precision and care.
Is Vaginal Tightening Right for Me?
If you’re wondering if vulva restoration or vaginal tightening is right for you, the typical candidates have the following in common:
- A decrease in vaginal elasticity as a result of aging or childbirth
- A desire to restore the appearance of their vaginal area to a more youthful appearance
- A desire to improve sexual health and functionality
- A desire to improve self-confidence when it comes to intimacy
- An increase in pain or dryness during sexual intercourse
Of course, the best way to determine if you’re a good candidate for vaginal rejuvenation is through a consultation. That way your doctor can take your individual circumstances into consideration and make a recommendation on the procedures that will be of most benefit to you.
What are the Risks of Vaginal Rejuvenation?
There are risks associated with any cosmetic or surgical procedure, and vaginal rejuvenation is no different. Your doctor will discuss the risks with you during your initial consultation, but here are some of the risks to be aware of ahead of time:
- There’s a risk of infection present with any surgical procedure
- You might experience a permanent loss of sensation after your vaginal tightening
- There’s also a risk of chronic pain following the procedure
- A risk of scarring is something to consider as well
- There’s a risk that the results might not turn out exactly as you envisioned
If you have any concerns or questions about vaginal rejuvenation, don’t hesitate to ask about them with your doctor. Discuss your expectations for surgery and learn about non-surgical options as well.
Your doctor can recommend non-invasive toning exercises that you can practice to help tighten weak muscles and enhance your sexual experience. You might also want to consider counseling to help you come to terms with your changing body and self-esteem issues if you struggle with these issues.
Your doctor is there to help you understand the procedure and give you realistic expectations.
Questions to Ask Your Doctor
In addition to understanding some of the possible risks of vaginal tightening, you might want to ask your doctor or surgeon some of the following questions as well to help you make a decision regarding vaginal rejuvenation:
- What are some of the complications associated with this procedure?
- What benefits can I realistically expect from this particular procedure?
- How likely is it that I’ll experience reduced sensation in either my clitoris or vagina?
- Will I still be able to reach an orgasm?
- Will vaginal rejuvenation affect my ability to become pregnant or give birth in the future?
- How realistic are my expectations for this particular procedure?
- Can you tell me more about any non-surgical options that might be beneficial for me?
Keep in mind that each patient is unique so it’s important that you discuss your individual situation thoroughly.
Will My Insurance Cover a Vaginal Rejuvenation?
Except in very rare instances, vaginal rejuvenation procedures are considered elective, so you shouldn’t expect your insurance to cover it. There are some chronic or congenital issues that may lead you to seek a vaginal rejuvenation that your insurance might cover, so it never hurts to ask.
Learn more about vaginal tightening and other vaginal rejuvenation methods by contacting our office today and scheduling a consultation. Our experienced team wants to offer you the same level of dedicated, professional treatment that we provide to all our patients. We’re here to help and we look forward to hearing from you!